January 2015 Amberleigh Top 5 NEWS ITEMS!!
January 2015 Amberleigh Top 5 NEWS ITEMS!
- POSTPHONED: The HOA Board Meeting routinely meets at 7pm on the 3rd Thurs. of every month. The meeting tomorrow, Thurs. 1/15, has been rescheduled to Thurs. 1/29. Monthly Board Meetings are held at the Franconia Moose Lodge, 7701 Beulah St. Please use the left side entrance off parking lot and the Grand Hall is on the left side from the vestibule area.
- Trash Vendor Transition- POSTPHONED: Our scheduled contract change from Republic to American Disposal Service (ADS) will be effected March 1st, rather than February 1st. Republic will continue providing service through February 28th. Information on returning of Republic provided trash/recycle containers and changes in service collection will be communicated in February- stay tuned.
- Quarterly Assessment Payments: By now everyone should have received the 1/2/2015 letter and instructions for assessment payments from our new Managing Agent, Community Association Management Professionals- CAMP. Lana Reynolds is our Community Manager and can assist/answer any questions related to the payment process options and set-up. Call 703-821-CAMP(2267) or CAMPS customer services at 1-855-477-CAMP (2267). Additional information relating to this follows the Top 5 news items.
- PIPE WINTERIZING: We’ve had some freezing weather and several folks in our community have had the misfortune of frozen pipes bursting. SEE BELOW for what to do in winterizing your outside hose bibs and avoiding this situation.
- CAMP management company info: • CAMP introduction letter- including details for setting up accounts, quarterly assessment payments, etc. This can be expected within the 1st 10 days of January. • Quarterly Assessment payments through direct deposits- please contact Lana Reynolds, our Community Manager, who will work with you directly to set this up. 703-821-CAMP (2267) or CAMP’s customer service at 1-855-477-CAMP (2267). • Quarterly Assessment payments through coupon/payment books- you will be issued a statement for your 1st Quarter payment. The coupon/payment books are forthcoming. Call Lana if you have questions. CAMP management company info: • CAMP introduction letter- including details for setting up accounts, quarterly assessment payments, etc. This can be expected within the 1st 10 days of January. • Quarterly Assessment payments through direct deposits- please contact Lana Reynolds, our Community Manager, who will work with you directly to set this up. 703-821-CAMP (2267) or CAMP’s customer service at 1-855-477-CAMP (2267). • Quarterly Assessment payments through coupon/payment books- you will be issued a statement for your 1st Quarter payment. The coupon/payment books are forthcoming. Call Lana if you have questions. SAVE THE DATE: Our Annual Amberleigh Home Owners Meeting is slated for Thursday March 19th at the Moose Lodge.
Amberleigh HOA BOARD
Let’s Talk Bill-payer and Processing!
Did you know that Bill-payer is NOT an “automated” electronic payment? It actually requires manual processing!
Most of us who use (and love) our bill-payer accounts tend to imagine that this method of bill payment is a completely electronic means of payment – right from our account to the association’s account! When owners see the date upon which bill-payers note that the bill was paid – and when their bank account shows that the funds were deducted – owners feel that the assessment has been paid. But that’s actually not the case! Here’s how bill-payer works:
When bill-payer debits your bank account, those funds are not directly transferred to the association’s account, as is most often assumed. Those funds are actually deposited into the bill-payer’s account, not the association’s account. When and how bill-payer transfers that payment to the association’s account varies from bill-payer to bill-payer service. Whether your bill-payer issues a paper check or an electronic transmission, there is a 1-3 day bill-payer process before bill-payer transmits your funds for payment to the association (it could be more if it falls on a weekend or holiday). Most importantly, after the funds have been transmitted by bill-payer, the association’s bank still has to manually process every bill-payer payment because there is no coupon (which the bank uses to automate their processing). Every single bill-payer payment must be looked up individually, which takes time of course. Therefore, neither the date upon which the funds have been taken from your account, nor the date upon which the bill-payer indicates as the date your payment was made are correct as to when the funds were actually received and processed by the association’s bank.
Only ‘Direct Debit’ or ACH is an electronic payment which is debited directly FROM your account TO the association’s account. If you are interested in enrolling in Direct Debit, please contact CAMP to obtain a Direct Debit authorization form – giving your
Authorization to debit your account for this specific purpose only.
* Remember, the Association assessments are due on the first day of the month
* Late fees are not assessed until after the 10th of the month – This is done specifically to allow for any delays such as mail glitches, weekends, or bill-payer.
Bill-payer is a very convenient and popular way to pay bills – so, for the many who prefer to use bill-payer and want to continue using it – please ensure that you build in sufficient time for the payment to reach the ‘end’ processing point by the 10th of each month. To be sure, schedule your payment due date for the 1st day of the month.
PLEASE DON’T LET FROZEN PIPES FLOOD YOUR HOME!
WINTERIZE YOUR PIPES
As you may recall, we had quite a lot of snow in 2014 and temperatures were lower than normal. All predictions for 2015 trend towards another very cold winter. Every year there are incidents of folks who did not winterize their hose bib to the outside faucet.
If you do not winterize it is likely that the water that is already in the line will freeze over the winter and cause the pipe to crack, and causing flooding in your home and possibly your neighbor. It may well cause substantial damage to your unit (and potentially others). This is an owner responsibility, so please winterize!
HERE’S HOW TO WINTERIZE: The cut-off valve for your outside faucet is likely in the ceiling of your utility room or is directly connected to the outside faucet on the inside of your home.